It is obvious that an up-to-date operating system is a secure and more reliable operating system. This new feature is, in fact, quite practical for most users. This is possibly the reason why Microsoft decided to set up automatic update for its Windows operating system by default.
However, not everyone wants their operating systems to update according to Microsoft’s schedule. Besides, it can be embarrassing to see the computer automatically update without having the possibility to stop it when you are in the middle of writing an important report or preparing a presentation with a tight deadline, Or when you are taking an online test.
Windows will take control of your computer, and you will not be able to stop the update or reboot the PC and there is nothing to do, once the update has started. You just have to wait till it ends.
To avoid this situation, we will tell you how to disable automatic updates on Windows 10. To do so, we will suspend the Windows Update service. Windows 10 will not automatically download and install new updates. This service can be reactivated whenever you want.
Steps to disable automatic updates:
1. Use the [Windows + R] key combination to display the Run window.
2. Next, enter “services.msc”.
3. In the new window, scroll down and then right-click the Windows Update service and select Properties, before double clicking on it.
4. In the Startup type drop-down list, select “Disabled” and then click Ok.
5. You can verify that Windows Update is disabled by accessing Windows Update (Start menu >> Settings >> Update and Security).
It is now up to you to choose the date of installation of the updates. However, it will be necessary to schedule the reactivation of the Windows Update service and to perform updates from time to time to enable the upgrade of the applications.
Steps to reactivate automatic updates:
1. Go to the Windows Update Properties window (Run >> “services.msc”>> Windows Update).
2. Select Manual in Startup Type then click Ok.
3. Go to Windows Update. You can search for and install Windows 10 updates again.
This is how to suspend the automatic update service and re-enable it to update manually.